1. Heat water to ~130F. Stir in sugar and yeast.
2. Mix half the flour with other dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Cut shortening into dry ingredients.
4. Add water and mix thoroughly until mostly smooth.
5. Add the rest of the flour a little at a time, until you have an easy to handle dough.
6. Turn onto a floured board and knead for ~10m, until dough is elastic.
7. Place in a greased bowl and cover. Allow to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes, until about doubled in size.
8. Separate in half. Knead 5-6 times and shape into loaves. Place on baking pan and let rise for another 40 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 425F. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Halfway through, paint loaves with melted butter and continue to bake.
Loaves should be golden brown on top and sound hollow when tapped, when done.